Are you an indigene of Niger state and you looking for a scholarship in the state? Are you a Niger state indigene abroad seeking educational help? You need not worry again for you are on the right page.
In this article, I will be talking about all you need to how about Niger state scholarship, its payment, eligibility, requirements and types.
About Niger State Scholarship Board
The Niger state scholarship board was established in the year 1976 when the state was created.
The sole responsibility of the board is to disburse government grants to all indigenous students of Niger state in all tertiary institutions (home or abroad) to cater for their welfare and sustenance throughout their study year.
A major advancement came to the scholarship board to serve you better in May 2007.
Now due to the statutory changes, you as a student can enjoy regular and uninterrupted payment of scholarship grants.
Additionally, the scholarship board is working around the clock to see her scholastic sponsorship full realized.
Objectives of the Niger State Scholarship Board
- To provide access to post-secondary edition for both residents and indigene of the state.
- Provide opportunities for recipients to undertake overseas programmes which intend to enrich their intellectual exposure.
- To promote and facilitate the pursuit of academic excellence by the recipients in their various field of study.
- To encourage academic competition and collaboration to bring out the best among the beneficiaries.
- Encourage beneficiaries to enter specialized fields of study that has a direct impact on adding value to the state.
Niger State Scholarship 2021 Requirements
For you to be eligible for any of the various scholarship scheme, you must:
- Be Nigerian and a residence or indigene of Niger state as recognized by official declaration (birth certificate and certificate of origin).
- Possess a valid full-time admission in any of the recognized Nigerian public university or foreign institutions of higher learning.
- Attain and maintain a level of performance required by the expectations of the specific scholarship plan for which you are a beneficiary.
- Complete the specific form for the relevant scholarship plan you are expected to be a beneficiary of. (Download the prescribed form from the website, complete it and submit it to the board. You can also do it online on the scholarship board website).
- You must submit the completed form within the time limit to meet the deadline.
- You must possess a written recommendation from a respected member of your community attesting to your good behavior.
- Lastly, after being selected, you can formally collect your attestation letter including the terms and conditions.
Documents Required for Applying For Niger State Scholarship
The following documents are the basic ones that must be required from you to be able to complete the scholarship application process.
- Your original JAMB and school admission letters bearing information about your year of entry, course of study and course duration.
- SSCE / GCE O’ level certificate.
- Evidence of state of origin / local government. It must be signed by the appropriate head.
- Relevant forms of identification like the national ID, school ID, drivers license or international passport.
- A letter attesting of you being of good behavior from a well-respected person in your community.
Now we will be looking at the forms of the scholarships. After that, we look at how to apply for the scholarships and the date for the 2021 scholarship application.
Forms of Scholarships Offered by the Niger State Government
- Bursary Award: This is in the form of a financial grant that you can get while pursuing a full-time programme like NCE, OND, HND and Degree programme in any recognized Nigerian public institution of higher learning. The specific amount to be released for each academic session will be communicated by the government. A bursary award is given through the Bursary that goes through your Niger state organization than to you. So as a beneficiary, you must register with the Niger state organization in your school.
- Merit Scholarship: Merit scholarship is granted to talented individuals who scored seven distinctions and above in their SSCE results. To ensure you have this scholarship throughout your study duration, you as must maintain a CGPA of 4.00. It must not be less than that or else your scholarship will be terminated,
- Merit Award in Transition: To get this scholarship, you must be able to make seven distinctions in your SSCE exams and maintain a CGPA of 3.50 throughout your year of higher learning in any recognized Nigerian public university.
- Bilateral Educational Agreement (BEA) Oversees Programme: This is an international educational agreement entered between Nigerian and eleven overseas countries. The countries include China, Turkey, Russia, Cuba, Greece, Romania, Czech Republic, Cuba, Tunisia, Japan and Morocco. Successful candidates under this scheme are given placement in the donor countries responsible for the payment of their tuition and welfare. However, under this Programme, the Niger state government grants dollar dominated assistance to its people,
- Governors Outstanding Academic Performance Award: If you graduate with a first-class honors from any of the public university in the nation, you can apply for this scholarship. The scholarship will sponsor you throughout your Master’s Programme in Nigeria or Overseas in the case of your course not be taught in Nigeria.
How To Apply For Niger State Scholarship
- Visit www.nssb.org.ng
- Click on the “Apply button”. Fill up the required columns with the right information
- Download the prescribed form and complete,
- Attach the necessary documents
- Submit the online application
- You can choose to submit your application manually to the scholarship board.
Date for The Scholarship
The portal is not opened yet. Normally the portal for application opens in Septembers, mostly the first week. So, keep your hand on the desk and wait for September.
- Address: Niger state scholarship board, old secretariat complex, Muazu Mohammad Road.
- Email: [email protected]
If you are a Niger State indigene and you are struggling financially to sponsor your education. You just need to read the above information and act on it. In case of further inquiries, you can email them at the above-stated contact email address.
One more last thing, the application process is a simple one. So, you need not worry about it.